Help children and teenagers with special needs.
AIMS OF THE PROJECT:
The objective of this project is to promote and advocate the rights of disabled people, especially disabled women, and to provide them adapted professional training.
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROJECT:
The AMDM association exists since 1988 and started as a platform of promotion of the human rights of people with disabilities. Nowadays, their objectives and missions grew wider.
They are active on different scales of the society:
• Sensibilization of public opinion and decision-makers about the specifities of handicap-related issues.
• Autonomization of disabled persons through adapted advice and assistance.
• Socio-economic insertion of disabled persons through education, training and employment.
• Advocacy of disabled people rights in front of public and private institutions
• Mediatic interventions and research on the topic of handicap.
• Organization and participation in associative demonstrations (congresses, summits, workshops, seminars, etc.)
The association has opened a leather workshop where they offer profesional training and are implementing alphabetization classes. They are also currently opening a center of formation and information as well as a cultural center.
By working with this association, the international volunteers will be in contact with many locals and will have the opportunity to get to know Moroccan’s habits and ways of life and get involved in the community at work as well as on their spare-time.
Rabat is the capital and fourth largest city of Morocco with an average population of 580,000 people. It combines both Mediterranean and Oceanic influences on many aspects. Rabat’s climate is mild and temperate, with cool winters and warm summer days. The city is quite dynamic as far as cultural activity is concerned thanks to many structures (Theatre Mohammed V right in the city centre, Cinema Renaissance, official galleries and the archaeological museum) and active associative work.
• No previous working experience required.
• Enthusiastic, positive, dynamic, patient, respectful and above all autonomous people needed.
• Medium level of French and/or English required.
• Be psychologically prepared to work with disabled persons.
• Willingness to develop ties with other nationalities and learn new things, of course we encourage everyone to follow the pace they feel comfortable with.
• About 6 hours of work per day from Monday to Friday
• Participate in the everyday running of the association
• The volunteers can ask to work on any of the different activities and sections of the association, and if they express any preferences they will be oriented to where there is need of extra hands.
• Assist the realization of leisure activities and workshops.
The volunteers will live with host families where they will be given 3 meals per day. Further information will be given in due time.
ARRIVAL OPTIONS AND MEETING POINT:
• If you choose to arrive directly in Rabat Airport, we can arrange someone to pick you up for 150 dirhams, otherwise the meeting point will be Rabat Ville Train Station.
• To get to the Rabat Ville Train Station from the airport you can take the bus right outside the gate for 20 dirhams and it will leave you in front of the train station. With a taxi, it should cost you about 100 dirhams (price negotiable).
• If you arrive in any other airport of the country, you will be able to reach Rabat by train, check the timetable and connections on www.oncf.ma
Once you have your flights details please pass them by e-mail to your interlocutor so you can arrange with him/her the meeting point.
The info sheet will be send to you by e-mail 3 weeks prior departure.