Assist children with heavy disabilities or important integration difficulties.
AIMS OF THE PROJECT:
The objective of this project is to provide children with heavy disabilities and important integration difficulties with personalized educative and medical follow up in order to help them build their own life project and have a life as ordinary and autonomous as possible.
The AMSEI asociation opened a center called AL BASMA where they welcome children from 4 to 20 years old during the day, propose them a diversified range of activities and take charge of their medical needs.
AMSEI also put in place “integrated classes” in partnership with public schools where they provide individual support to kids that are able to attend regular classes.
Concrete activities of the association:
• Organize educative, sportive, artistic, manual and cultural activities with the children.
• Life council and regular meetings with the families to orient the kids toward adapted activities.
• Medical support and follow-up of the children.
The children are divided into 4 age groups: 4 to 7, 8 to 11, 12 to 16, 17 to 20.
• With the younger groups, the main focus is personal development, socialization and scholar integration.
• With the oldest groups, the main focus is the development of lucrative activities and socio-professional integration.
• With the kids who suffer from heavy and cumulated disabilities, the main focus is the development of their sensorial skills and autonomy and socialization skills.
The staff of the project is composed of health professionals, psychologists, physiotherapists, specialized educators, etc. working closely with the administrative staff, the families and the volunteers.
By working in this centre, the international volunteers will be in contact with many locals and will have the opportunity to get to know Moroccan’s habits and ways of life and get involved in the community at work as well as on their spare-time.
Rabat is the capital and fourth largest city of Morocco with an average population of 580,000 people. It combines both Mediterranean and Oceanic influences on many aspects. Rabat’s climate is mild and temperate, with cool winters and warm summer days. The city is quite dynamic as far as cultural activity is concerned thanks to many structures (Theatre Mohammed V right in the city centre, Cinema Renaissance, official galleries and the archaeological museum) and active associative work.
• No previous working experience required.
• Enthusiastic, positive, dynamic, patient and respectful people needed.
• Medium level of French and/or English required.
• People psychologically prepared to work with children suffering various disabilities.
• Willingness to develop ties with other nationalities and learn new things, of course we encourage everyone to follow the pace they feel comfortable with.
• About 4 hours of work per day from Monday to Friday
• Take care of the children and accompany them in their daily tasks.
• Assist the realization of leisure activities (educative, sportive, artistic activities, etc.)
• Help in the kitchen
• Provide scholar support in a creative way (with games, songs, etc.)
If the volunteers have any knowledge and/or interest in the matter, they can assist the paramedical staff.
The volunteers will live with host families where they will be given 3 meals per day. Further information will be given in due time.
ARRIVAL OPTIONS AND MEETING POINT:
• If you choose to arrive directly in Rabat Airport, we can arrange someone to pick you up for 150 dirhams, otherwise the meeting point will be Rabat Ville Train Station.
• To get to the Rabat Ville Train Station from the airport you can take the bus right outside the gate for 20 dirhams and it will leave you in front of the train station. With a taxi, it should cost you about 100 dirhams (price negotiable).
• If you arrive in any other airport of the country, you will be able to reach Rabat by train, check the timetable and connections on www.oncf.ma
Once you have your flights details please pass them by e-mail to your interlocutor so you can arrange with him/her the meeting point.
The info sheet will be send to you by e-mail 3 weeks prior departure.