Provide scholar support and teach languages.
RELEVANCE OF THE PROJECT:
The aim of this project is to provide free scholar support and linguistic reinforcement to children and young people currently attending school or university. In Morocco’s public schools, the deliverance of language classes is compromised by many factors such as crowded classrooms and lack of trained teacher due to an overall low education level especially when it comes to English. Private summer lessons are of course available but too expansive for most families. This project offers the most disadvantaged students the opportunity to achieve a higher academic level.
• Scholar support
• Work camps
• Theatre classes
• Cultural activities
The children the volunteers will teach come from families with low economic resources therefore the volunteers will be able to observe and appreciate their everyday life habits and culture through practical and social involvement and feel like they are actually making a change for these kids as they will pass on to them important skills for their future on a personal and academic perspective. Moreover, by working with national volunteers, they will have the chance to get involved in the Moroccan community not only at the youth center but also outside of work.
Rabat is the capital and fourth largest city of Morocco with an average population of 580,000 people. It combines both Mediterranean and Oceanic influences on many aspects. Rabat’s climate is mild and temperate, with cool winters and warm summer days. The city is quite dynamic as far as cultural activity is concerned thanks to many structures (Theatre Mohammed V right in the city centre, Cinema Renaissance, official galleries and the archaeological museum) and active associative work.
Further information about the country will be attached in the National Profile form.
• No previous experience required but pedagogic skills will be necessary to conduct this program.
• Prepare a simple teaching plan ahead so that you arrive with ready material.
• Sense of humor, openness, sociability and creativity
• Interest in learning new things every day
• Cooperative spirit and interest in quality communication with the beneficiaries.
• Prepare lessons
• Teach children and young adults (especially languages but not only) • Organize leisure activities.
The volunteers will live in host families where they will be given 3 meals per day. Further information will be given in due time.
ARRIVAL OPTIONS AND MEETING POINT:
• If you choose to arrive directly at Rabat Airport, we can arrange someone to pick you up for 150 dirhams, otherwise the meeting point can be Rabat Ville Train Station.
• To get to the Rabat Ville Train Station from the airport you can take the bus right outside the gate for 20 dirhams and it will leave you in front of the train station. With a taxi, it should cost you about 100 dirhams (price negotiable).
• If you arrive in any other airport of the country, you will be able to reach Rabat by train, check the timetable and connections on www.oncf.ma
Once you have your flights details please pass them by e-mail to your interlocutor so you can arrange with him/her the meeting point.
il 3 weeks prior departure.