Assisting children with disabilities.
AIMS OF THE PROJECT:
The objective of this project is to give priority to the quality of life of disabled and innocent children and help them fulfill their destiny and achieve great things in the future.
• Take care of disabled people
• Organize leisure activities
• Accompany them in their daily activities
• Organize awareness raiser days for the general public in favor of the disabled people through educational workshops: - Painting – Sport – Kitchen – Literacy – Music – Excursions...
• Animate group discussions
• Promote active prevention about violence against children.
• Develop the children self-appreciation through a skill-based approach.
• Participate in school interventions
• Provide legal support and advice to children who suffered from abuses.
The center hosts several disabled children and the volunteers will participate in their everyday life habits and culture through practical and social involvement. They will get in touch with national volunteers and social workers in the center so that they can get involved in the community, not only inside the center but also outside of work.
Rabat is the capital and fourth largest city of Morocco with an average population of 580,000 people. It combines both Mediterranean and Oceanic influences on many aspects. Rabat’s climate is mild and temperate, with cool winters and warm summer days. The city is quite dynamic as far as cultural activity is concerned thanks to many structures (Theatre Mohammed V right in the city centre, Cinema Renaissance, official galleries and the archaeological museum) and active associative work.
Further information about the country will be attached in the National Profile form.
• No previous working experience required although pedagogical skills would give extra quality to the project.
• Enthusiastic, positive, patient and respectful people needed.
• People psychologically prepared to work with children suffering various disabilities.
• Willingness to develop ties with other nationalities and learn new things, of course we encourage everyone to follow the pace they feel comfortable with.
• Organize leisure activities for disabled children and young people
• Accompany them in their daily tasks.
• Motivate the children to participate in diversified activities.
• Take part in music and arts activities
• Provide basic language support. The center is open to suggestions from the volunteers: English, French, Spanish, etc. All will be very basic level.
• Take part in creative leisure activities like sports, sometimes outside the center.
It is also possible to develop additional offers.
They can of course participate in all the project activities described above.
The volunteers will be working with the people in charge of the center and with teachers and animators who take care of mentally handicapped people. They will be attended by the team and by a special tutor.
The volunteers can choose between living with a host family and sharing a flat with other volunteers.
ARRIVAL OPTIONS AND MEETING POINT:
• If you choose to arrive directly in Rabat Airport, we can arrange someone to pick you up for 150 dirhams, otherwise the meeting point will be Rabat Ville Train Station.
• To get to the Rabat Ville Train Station from the airport you can take the bus right outside the gate for 20 dirhams and it will leave you in front of the train station. With a taxi, it should cost you about 100 dirhams (price negotiable).
• If you arrive in any other airport of the country, you will be able to reach Rabat by train, check the timetable and connections on www.oncf.ma
Once you have your flights details please pass them by e-mail to your interlocutor so you can arrange with him/her the meeting point.
The info sheet will be send to you by e-mail 3 weeks prior departure.